The living room or den is the room where a family does most of their, well…. living. Its a busy room and takes a lot of wear and tear. So, it can usually stand a good cleaning any time you want to give it one.
Begin by picking up the room and using your 4 bags/boxes/baskets like we have been doing all week. Get everything out of this room that doesn’t belong. Sometimes I place personal belongings in a basket and tell the children to come get their things in the next ten minutes or the things are leaving home.
Here is how I go about deep cleaning the Living Room…
- Make a pan of hot soapy water or use the kitchen sink.
- Once you get the room emptied of stuff that doesn’t belong, take up nicnacs and decorative items.
- Clean and wash picture frames and nicnacs, set them out to dry.
- Take down the curtains and take up the rugs, wash them if possible or hang them out to air.
- Take up tablecloths, doilies, all fabric coverings and pillows; wash and dry if you can or air dry.
- Wash down the door frames, window frames, baseboards, all woodwork, ceilings and ceiling fans.
- Wash windows
- Clean off shelves, rearrange books, wipe down the shelves while they are empty.
- Clean up work areas. Organize work materials.
- Organize movies, cds and dvds, organize the whole tv/entertainment area
- Dust all furniture, polish if needed
- Move out furniture if possible, if not just clean around and under as best you can.
- Vacuum upholstered furniture
- Vacuum floors, sweep and mop, polish wood floors
- Replace rugs and curtains
- Replace furniture covers if using and pillows
- Arrange magazines, papers, books that don’t have a shelf. A basket might be nice, or simply stack them up neatly.
- Replace nicnacs and pictures…. do you need them all in this room?
- Light some candles and relax.