Its time to make apple butter again!
I make it in the big roaster. Its easy and makes a big old batch of apple butter.
1. Peel and core your apples. Save all the peels and trimmings to make jelly!
2. Fill up the roaster to overflowing with the peeled, cored apple pieces.
3. Add a little water, 2-3 cups.
4. Add sweetener and spices. I use white and brown sugar. I start with 4 cups total and add more later. I use cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg to taste. It takes about 1/2 cup cinnamon total but you should taste it. Particularly mild apples can be overwhelmed by too much spice.
5. Turn the roaster on 300* and let it cook all day and night. Stir now and then.
6. Taste and add more sugar if needed. Cook some more til the apples are soft and brown.
7. Run the immersion blender through the apples.
Next, I can the apple butter in a water bath. You should consult a good canning manual for instructions, but I normally water bath pints for 20 minutes. This year I used 12 ounce jars and water bathed them for 20 minutes, too.
I’ll try to get some pictures of this years batch of apple butter up soon, right now I’m heading out the door.